[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: References

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Mar 21 14:14:05 UTC 2016

On 21 March 2016 at 14:06, Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com> wrote:

> > On 21 Mar 2016, at 11:48, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:
> >
> > An update to the 'arbitrary attributes' feature request. Even more
> important than the before mentioned content-type, content-length and so
> forth are probably description and a thumbnail. Information which can be
> extracted for example by the means of open graph [1] meta tags from a lot
> of websites.
> >
> > This would allow for a proper link preview like slack, skype and so
> forth are doing.
> >
> > Kev: When questioning this. Is your concern that you don't want the
> attributes to be completely arbitrary? Do you want them to be well-defined?
> (Having a set list of like content-type, description, thumbnail,
> content-length and so forth?) Or would you rather not have attributes like
> this in this XEP at all?
>
> It’s a concern with the attributes being completely arbitrary (how does
> one know which they need to support? discovery starts being a bit of a
> nuisance). Non-abritrary data form elements could be reasonable - there’s
> still a discoverability question, but it might be ok. Would you like to
> propose something? I’ve not had the cycles since the summit to take much
> more of a look at References.

I don't think there's any fundamental difference between arbitrary
namespaced child elements and a data form, except that a data form is more
restrictive and lends itself well to human interaction. I don't think we
have any human interaction here. So why a data form and not just allow
namespaced child elements, which can be ignored by recipients that don't
understand them?

(Note that I often dislike data forms in machine-driven protocol work, but
this case seems particularly unsuited).