[Standards] XEP-352 CSI - server behaviour when client's inactive but sends stanzas

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Thu Mar 31 14:01:31 UTC 2016

On 31.03.2016 15:26, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The XEP-352 http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0352.html doesn't say much
> about servers behaviour. I'm wondering what should happen when client
> goes into inactive state but sends messages after that.
>
> Should the server respond with an error and discard the stanza? Or maybe
> should the server buffer these stanzas and process them later when
> client is back active?

Huh? Are you talking about the case where a client sends <inactive/> and
then some stanza? Why shouldn't the server just handle the stanza
normally, i.e. as if CSI was not in use?

CSI is mostly about elements being send from the server to the client,
not the other way around. Only the sending entity is able to optimize
the outgoing traffic: The (mobile) client has to prevent unnecessary
outgoing elements to the server and the server has to prevent
unnecessary elements to the mobile client to prevent battery drain.

A server may want to use the indication that the client is up (and that
its radio is powered up) to e.g. send some queued stanzas to the client.
But that is up to the server implementation (and could possible cause
more harm than good, although I doubt it).

- Florian