[Standards] Should we move Nicks out of MIX-CORE?

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Mon Jun 4 06:48:21 UTC 2018

On 3 Jun 2018, at 17:22, Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com> wrote:
>> As far as I understood nicknames are already optional in current MIX. If that's
>> the case, then it should be moved out of MIX-CORE.
> [Steve Kille]
>
> We do not fundamentally need Nicks to be in MIX-CORE.

We do not *fundamentally* need them in core, because we don’t need anything in core, but

> You can display participants by use of the JID.

I think that would be fairly unpleasant if you just name people with their JID. Other options like vcarding everyone in the MUC to get their nick to render is unpleasant - both from a flood point of view, and that they need have no nick set, and they’re probably not in your roster either.

> My sense is that it is handy to have Nicks associated with channel participants, to give a more compact display.  Perhaps this reflects the UIs I'm used to.   It feels a pretty basic capability to me.   This is why it remained in MIX-CORE.
>
> However,  I could move it out into a new MIX-NICK.   What do people think?

I think not. It’s unhelpful if we have many documents that are theoretically optional but practically required for most every deployment.

/K