[Standards] Resurrecting Reactions

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Dec 4 20:59:50 UTC 2019

On 03.12.19 21:50, Marvin W wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to resurrect the Reactions topic.
>
> 3. The ProtoXEP doesn't use a generic way to reference the message that
> is reacted on. However it was agreed that no proper way to do so
> generically existed until then. As a follow-up, the Fastening XEP-0422
> was proposed, with the intention to do some generic referencing thing.
> On this list, this XEP received some critique [3] from me and others
> that were not addressed yet and make it unclear to me how to correctly
> implement Reactions on top of it in various use-cases (updating
> reactions, encryption).

AFAIKT it was at least you and me who gave feedback on fastening 3
months ago. Sadly from this point everything regarding the development
of the fastening XEP came to an halt. I wonder if we could improve our
processes here. I'd really like to continue the work on this and and
like to avoid reactions being accepted as XEP in its current form.

- Florian