[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Reactions

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Wed Jul 31 15:40:17 UTC 2019

On Mittwoch, 24. Juli 2019 22:00:30 CEST Marvin W wrote:
> > Backward compatibility
>
> There clearly have been opposing opinions on that matter. I believe they
> are partly driven by different understanding on how Reactions might be
> used in the wild, but I doubt there will be any way to reach consensus
> on a rule that mandates a specific body or its absence. That said, I
> support Florians suggestion to gather some implementation experience
> first and decide on a more specific business rule afterwards.

Right, I am very on board with using Experimental for this. I have a very
strong opinion on the "how" though.

Please, let us, right from the start, add a legacy body in all
implementations. This will let us gauge how much it really affects legacy
implementations *much* better than not doing so. Remember, without the legacy
body legacy implementations will not see anything; they might not notice
they’re missing anything. On the other hand, if the legacy body is in fact
harmful, we will actually get that feedback and can work on how to improve it,
possibly by removing it altogether.

kind regards,
Jonas