[Standards] Ephemeral messages to offline users (XEP-0085, XEP-0160?)

Evgeny xramtsov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 10:39:42 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 12:45 PM, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de>
wrote:
> I never liked the behaviour of some clients that would simply show
> error messages without any context whatsoever in the chat window.
> I prefer clients that track actual messages and mark individual
> messages as failed.

That's a typical pitfall of a developer who doesn't treat errors as
first-class citizens, despite research routinely demonstrates that
ignoring error conditions in application leads to major bugs and error
processing code is typically buggy (in particular, in server segment
those are the #1 reason of a service outage). I don't see how putting
the burden on servers will improve the situation: it will not make
client development simplier, it will just encourage a bad programming
pattern.