[Standards] Whitespace "ping"

Ненахов Андрей andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru
Tue Jun 11 12:10:49 UTC 2019

Btw, from a mobile client developer perspective, if a server pings an app
every 30 seconds, the battery drain is very high and is significantly
higher than if interval is set to 2 minutes. What's interesting is that
dependency is not linear: drain seems to rise sharply with intervals less
than 60 seconds. I don't recall the exact details though, it was 5+ years
ago since we tested it. Also, I think that in current state of affairs the
way to go are push notifications, and thus the need for ping is somewhat
diminished.

вт, 11 июн. 2019 г. в 17:01, Guus der Kinderen <guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com
>:

> What we need basically is a way to negotiate the interval with server
>

> I'm not sure if this is _needed_? Without this being a requirement, much
> of the complexity of "making this more standard" falls away.
>
> A server could, before determining that a connection is lost, attempt to
> send any IQ stanza (PING is an obvious choice, but any query will do). As
> the client is obliged to respond, if anything with an error, the server
> knows if the connection is, in fact, lost.
>

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 11:50, Mickaël Rémond <mremond at process-one.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The RFC 6120 mentions whitespace ping to keep the connection alive and
>> help the server detects that the client is gone.
>> I also see that there was some attempt to bring consistency in the way
>> server handles this in XEP-0304:
>> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0304.html
>> It is rather old and today has also probably a bit of overlap with
>> XEP-0198 Stream Management, and possibly also with XEP-0199 XMPP ping.
>> I guess many client use the XEP-0198 acks, but still, XEP-0198 recommends
>> the use of TCP level whitespace keepalive.
>> Having a way to check connection from client without generating load on
>> parsers and limiting bandwidth used is important, so whitespace keepalive
>> are goods.
>>
>> What do you think of pushing forward a way to make whitespace ping
>> behaviour more standard?
>> What we need basically is a way to negotiate the interval with server, so
>> that client can be considered disconnected when that whitespace trafic is
>> not receive in time.
>>
>> I am not really fond of making this a new stream feature, like XEP-0304
>> suggest, as maybe what would make more sense is to define that feature in
>> Stream management XEP itself (and thus could be part of the stream
>> management negotiation)
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> --
>> Mickaël Rémond