[Standards] XEP-0368: What does a . for a target mean in _xmpps-client/server records?

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Sat Jun 29 14:32:15 UTC 2019

Hi list,

It is not clear to me how to interpret, in a library connecting to an XMPP
service, a single SRV record for _xmpps-{client,server} which has `.` as the
target.

For RFC 6120 _xmpp-{client,server} records (note the missing `s`), a `.`
indicates that the domain does not host an XMPP service at all, so attempting
to form a connection should stop right there (most notably, no fallback to
domainpart A/AAAA lookup).

How should this be interpreted for XEP-0368? Should a `.` indicate "I do not
speak direct TLS, but try _xmpp-client records"? Or should it indicate, right
away, that there is no XMPP service on the domain?

Whatever the consensus is, this should be written down in the XEP I think.

kind regards,
Jonas