[Standards] XEP-0368: What does a . for a target mean in _xmpps-client/server records?

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Sun Jun 30 15:07:08 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019, at 14:58, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> Just to be clear, in the same way as for xmpp-client, as per RFC 2782?

I think so; I meant by fetching the A/AAAA record of the domain part of
the JID, and then attempting to perform direct TLS if a connection is
established. Then again, if an attacker can poison my DNS to send me a
"." SRV record, they can probably mess with the A/AAAA records too so I
suppose it doesn't matter all that much.

Either way, if a connection is made at some point I'll probably try
direct TLS whether it was advertised or not.

—Sam