[Standards] XEP-0368: What does a . for a target mean?in?_xmpps-client/server records?

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Sun Jun 30 18:23:36 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019, at 18:15, Kim Alvefur wrote:
> Please don't. While detecting use of TLS or plain is fairly simple it
> is more complicated to handle both on the same port. I don't know any
> socket handling framework that makes this easy. Usually the TLS
> library takes over the socket and if you inspected the first bytes
> then it fails.

You don't have to support them both on the same port necessarily, but
since I can't detect if you support it or not I don't have many options
other than to just try it.

> Trying direct TLS on a starttls port will usually result in garbage
> being fed to the XML parser, which leads to very loud error messages,
> possibly even including thing garbage.

That seems like a terrible (and possibly dangerous) thing for a
framework to do. If this is true I'd argue that your XML parser or
server is broken.

—Sam

--
Sam Whited