[Standards] XEP-0313: pending 0.7 update review

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 20:51:37 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

XEP-0313 is a well-established protocol at this point, but didn't yet make
it to the next stage in the standards process. Time to fix that!

I have made a final round of updates to incorporate the various feedback I
have received from people who have implemented the protocol over the past
couple of years.

One thing that kept coming up was splitting out some non-essential/rougher
parts of the document. This I have done: preferences and pubsub archives
have been split off to be separate XEPs.

Preferences are not widely implemented, and actually implementing and using
them has the potential to mess up the way many clients use MAM for sync
today - these days I don't think it's a feature that should generally be
exposed to users without caution.

Pubsub archives are something that is conceptually simple, but that I think
people still have a fair few questions about. So splitting that into a new
document will hopefully give it some room to grow.

The core of XEP-0313 that remains has actually gained some new features
that were repeatedly requested by people to help with implementation
issues. Importantly the namespace has not been bumped, but servers that
support the new update will indicate this with an extra disco feature.

The PRs are here:

XEP-0313: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/922
MAM Preferences: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/920
Pubsub MAM: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/921

Feedback very welcome, but I hope we can get this wrapped up and advanced
to Draft where it should be soon!

Regards,
Matthew