[Standards] XEP-0313: pending 0.7 update review

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Thu Apr 16 13:02:38 UTC 2020

On 4/3/20 10:51 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:> The PRs are here:

> XEP-0313: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/922
>
> Feedback very welcome, but I hope we can get this wrapped up and
> advanced to Draft where it should be soon!

As I told you in the xsf@ MUC, I believe you can take the silence as
"mostly a lack of disagreement" on the proposed changes.

I very much like the route you choose with the mam:2#extended feature,
over mam:3.

In theory one could split it even further and create features for every
single proposed extension, but I hear already people scream
"fragmentation". Although I do not share that fear, or any fear that
this would be somehow problematic, I also see the appeal in having a
single 2#extended feature.

I have two further minor remarks:

I wondered if "fetching a single message" shouldn't be "fetching
messages by a list of archive IDs", where single message fetching is
just using a list of size one. If we ever specify "fetch-by-id-list",
then we would end up with two ways to retrieve a single message by id,
which feels odd to me.

Also, and this is unrelated to your proposed changes, § 3.5 should
probably specify the namespace of xep359, because in theory it could get
bumped at some point. While I do not expect such a bump, the namespace
currently only appears in the examples, and those are, as we all know,
not normative. Hence mentioning 'urn:xmpp:sid:0' appears sensible.

- Florian