[Standards] XEP-0313: pending 0.7 update review

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 13:08:00 UTC 2020

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 12:58, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:

> On 4/16/20 3:02 PM, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> > On 4/3/20 10:51 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:> The PRs are here:
> >>
> >> XEP-0313: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/922
> >>
> >> Feedback very welcome, but I hope we can get this wrapped up and
> >> advanced to Draft where it should be soon!
> >
> > I have two further minor remarks:
> >
> > I wondered if "fetching a single message" shouldn't be "fetching
> > messages by a list of archive IDs", where single message fetching is
> > just using a list of size one. If we ever specify "fetch-by-id-list",
> > then we would end up with two ways to retrieve a single message by id,
> > which feels odd to me.
>
> The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that we
> should simply specify (and register) a well known field for message IDs
> with type list-multi, instead of doing the proposed single message
> fetching.

Interesting issue I just realised. I'm not sure list-multi is necessarily a
good fit semantically. XEP-0004 says this:

> A form-submitting entity chooses one or more items from among the options
presented by the form-processing entity and MUST NOT insert new options.

An alternative is text-multi which does allow arbitrary values, but is
defined to be multiline. At least Prosody is going to merge this into a
multiline string before the MAM code would see it (and would  have to parse
it back into individual values).

Regards,
Matthew