[Standards] Offline Feature Negotiation and Device Lists

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Feb 17 08:57:27 UTC 2020

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 at 12:49, Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu> wrote:

> Hace you considered special disco nodes on the account that get
> synthesized by the server based on the disco information from registered
> devices?

I wondered about that. We could have a pair of disco nodes as well, yes.

> Do you think there's value in the ability to subscribe to this information
> via PEP?

I think there's severe disadvantages in having the information only
available via PEP. But PEP remains our best choice for data that needs to
be public and disseminated around a user's contacts.

The trouble is that PEP is also limited in the case of anything but a
two-way presence subscription.

But using PEP for entity caps (XEP-0390-in-PEP, in effect) seems like a
useful compromise, with the actual disco being held against the user's
account.