[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-05-27

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Mon Jun 1 15:47:02 UTC 2020

Based on the feedback provided, and partially based on the text Dave
suggested, I've submitted some updates to add an "unstyled" hint among
other more minor changes.

https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/955

I want to give my reasoning for not adding the opposite, a "styled"
hint, on list:

Part of the point of Message Styling is that we are trying to make
various things that users are already doing more consistent. This means
that if two users in a MUC write "This has _emphasis_", I should see the
same thing. Similarly, if one user writes the previous message, and the
next user quotes them, the quoted message should look the same in both
places (with the exception that it's in whatever style you use for a
blockquote, of course). If we add a "styled" hint, and leave what
happens when no hint is specified up to the individual clients, this is
no longer guaranteed. Instead one user may send a styled hint, another
user quotes them but does not set a styled hint (because they don't
support it, or just copy pasted and added a ">" before the quote, as
users often do), my various clients might display the quoted message
differently from the original message even if they all support message
styling (one client may default to unstyled, and another may default to
styled, or applying some heuristics).

If instead we always default to styled, and only provide an "unstyled"
hint, messages will be styled or unstyled (if the hint is present) on
any clients that support this spec, and there is less ambiguity. This
does leave the possibility of false positives sent from clients that
don't support styling, but this is likely very rare, and my clients
could add a "view plaintext" button or similar like some email clients
have if they thought it was important enough to do so.

—Sam