[Standards] Evaluating gitlab.com as new location for XEP Editor repositories (xeps+registar)

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Tue Jun 16 17:16:28 UTC 2020

Hi Guus,

Also thanks to you for more feedback.

On Dienstag, 16. Juni 2020 19:06:04 CEST Guus der Kinderen wrote:
> Thanks for all of the effort that you're putting into this. A concern that
> I have with the shared gitlab/github solution is that it has a lot of
> moving parts, a lot of dependencies, and a lot of places where things can
> go wrong. Complexity of the implementation increases (to save complexity in
> the editoring process, which is a worthy cause). I'd like us to consider if
> the implementation that we're going for will be maintainable in the future,
> after the architects of the implementation move on to greener pastures.

Valid concern indeed. I intend to mitigate this in two ways:

- If we find that the complexity of this solution is too high, we will find
another approach, probably at cost of more complexity elsewhere in the
infrastructure.

- Lots of documentation. I plan to add some "user level" stuff to the XMPP
Wiki (e.g. for an upcoming Council Chair: "Where do I find editor stuff for
Council if I want to?"), as well as technical level things in documentation
close or inside the repositories themselves.

In addition, I hope that pep. will be available for reviewing the things I do
so that we have at least two people who’re aware of what’s going on at this
time.

kind regards,
Jonas