[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Channel Binding Pseudomechanisms

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed May 6 16:50:33 UTC 2020

On 05.05.20 21:06, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) wrote:

> Title: Channel Binding Pseudomechanisms
> Abstract:
> A method for advertising and negotiating types of channel binding
> supported by SCRAM based SASL mechanisms.

I am surprised about the design. Why inflate the SASL mechanism
namespace? Wouldn't something like

<stream:features>
  <mechanisms xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'>
    <mechanism>EXTERNAL</mechanism>
    <mechanism>SCRAM-SHA-1-PLUS</mechanism>
    <mechanism>SCRAM-SHA-1</mechanism>
    <mechanism>PLAIN</mechanism>
  </mechanisms>
  <sasl-channel-binding
    xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'
    required='false'

    <channel-binding>tls-unique</channel-binding>
  </sasl-channel-binding>
</stream:features>

Be way simpler and better?

- Florian