[Standards] Use of XEP-0198 resumption under adverse network conditions

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Fri Nov 6 17:41:15 UTC 2020

Hi Dave,

* Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> [2020-11-04 12:48]:
> TL;DR: When the session has a ping timeout, do push notifications, but
> otherwise leave it open - mobile clients will often recover after several
> minutes have passed.

That's a great analysis and I haven't considered this situation yet, but
your proposal sounds very logical to me.

I see two potential issues:

the client needs to mirror this logic as well, and stick to an old TCP
session for a much longer time. I fear there will be some pathological
situations where it will render the client effectively disconnected,
e.g. when the old connection gets blackholed, but a new one could be
established any time.

Furthermore, some long time ago I've seen situations where a TCP
connection had a very hard time recovering from intermittent packet
loss, where the connection's latency remained very high and throughput
very low. Did you experience this effect as well, or is this just a
faint memory from times of much worse congestion control algorithms?

To solve either problem, I can imagine that a client *could* open a
second stream to the server in parallel to the existing one, and if the
second stream completes authentication, then just 0198-resume there.

But this is also going to increase medium contention, and it's even more
sockets for the client to juggle around.

Georg