[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0459 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2022)

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Wed Sep 29 17:07:56 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 4:33 PM Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:

> 1. As part of the work on XEP-0313, two XEPs got split out:
>
> - XEP-0441: Message Archive Management Preferences
> - XEP-0442: Pubsub Message Archive Management
>
> I think that at least XEP-0441 belongs into Advanced IM to keep the
> same functionality as before.

Agreed.

> 2. As editor of earlier Compliance Suites, I used to review the
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0459.html#future section to see which
> XEPs have matured over the previous year and could be added into one of
> the Suites.
>
> I might be slightly biased, but I would like to propose the following
> three for Advanced IM Client and Server:
>
> - XEP-0379: Pre-Authenticated Roster Subscription

I think we should try to move away from roster subscription as any
form of prerequisite to start chatting. (And we already have in parts
for example by making OMEMO nodes world readable)

> - XEP-0401: Easy User Onboarding
> - XEP-0445: Pre-Authenticated In-Band Registration

Those XEPs are too opinionated on how on boarding should work and
would prevent any client that for example targets corporate users and
their LDAP user backends or client certificate logins from being a
compliant XMPP client. Something phone number based like Quicksy.im
would also be excluded.

Looking at the server side a provider with a custom XMPP server that
only offers paid accounts (where any invite based system doesn’t make
sense) should be able to gain 'Advanced IM' status.

> 3. It is also good to check https://xmpp.org/extensions/ for new
> additions. From there, I suggest adding the following new XEPs to the
> "Future Development" section:
>
> - XEP-0453: DOAP usage in XMPP
> - XEP-0455: Service Outage Status

+1 to include in future section.

> - for E2EE: XEP-0450: Automatic Trust Management (ATM)

I don’t think we have enough experience with this XEP to tell whether
or not this is even a good idea.

cheers
Daniel