Hi Schimon, I see multiple options to use vCard: 1. Use a group with a URL and the custom X-ABLabel property. This is a widely implemented custom property used to label URLs (and other fields, including IMPP). It's supported by at least Apple (iOS and macOS), Nextcloud and Android (DAVx5). In vCard notation it looks like this: myi2psite.URL:http://myi2psite.i2p myi2psite.X-ABLabel:My I2P Site mybusinesssite.URL;TYPE=work:http://mybusinesssite.i2p mybusinesssite.X-ABLabel:My Business Site The reason why this is not possible using standard LABEL (if it were specified), NOTE or similar properties, is that grouping support is optional in vCard. Clients are allowed to strip all group prefixes (what is before the property name, separated by ".") if they don't want to have grouping support, meaning that any official property must be designed with that in mind and thus can't relate to a specific other property. X-ABLabel, in contrast, requires clients to support grouping and is entirely ignored by clients that don't support it. Thus a non grouping- and thus also non-X-ABLabel-aware client would read the above as: URL:http://myi2psite.i2p URL;TYPE=work:http://mybusinesssite.i2p Which of course is a loss of information, but still a very good fallback. The XML notation of above would be: <group name="myi2psite"> <url><uri>http://myi2psite.i2p</uri></url> <x-ablabel><text>My I2P Site</text></x-ablabel> </group> <group name="mybusinesssite"> <url> <parameters><type><text>work</text></type></parameters> <uri>http://mybusinesssite.i2p</uri> </url> <x-ablabel><text>My Business Site</text></x-ablabel> </group> 2. If you don't feel like using groups and don't need or want interoperability with existing implementations, you can also declare a new custom property myi2psite.URL;X-FASI-Label=My I2P Site:http://myi2psite.i2p mybusinesssite.URL;TYPE=work;X-FASI-Label=My Business Site:http://mybusinesssite.i2p The XML notation of above would be: <url> <parameters><x-fasi-label><text>My I2P Site</text></x-fasi- label></parameters> <uri>http://myi2psite.i2p</uri> </url> <url> <parameters> <type><text>work</text></type> <x-fasi-label><text>My Business Site</text></x-fasi-label> </parameters> <uri>http://mybusinesssite.i2p</uri> </url> 3. If even convertibility to plain vCard is not necessary for you, you could even use any custom namespace inside the vCard <url> property. Clients unaware of it would strip it out when parsing or converting to plain vCard, leaving only the plain URLs intact. While technically possible, I think solutions 1 and 2 are way better - with 1 being probably the best and most interoperable option. Marvin PS: The functionality of the LABEL property in vCard before version 4 is still present today, it just has a completely different meaning. LABEL is referring to postal address labels, the property would include the text that needs to be written on a postal label to deliver to the person referred to in the vCard. In vCard 4.0 this became a property parameter of ADR, because it is directly tied to a physical address. On Tue, 2024-10-29 at 09:08 +0200, Schimon Jehudah wrote:
Good day. Marvin.
Apparently, vCard4 Over XMPP does not support my objective.
I wish to have custom labels or additional label, specifically for URIs and URLs.
From: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0292.html#mapping-removed
NOTE: vcard-temp allowed a LABEL element, but it was removed from vCard4
If there is a link to a Movim instance, then I want a label with the name of the instance (i.e. monocles, Movim, Pimux), and so for Libervia, PeerTube, Pleroma etc.
<i2p> <parameters /> <uri>http://mycoolsite.i2p</uri> </i2p> <movim> <parameters /> <uri>https://mov.im/?blog/sch</uri> </movim> <peertube> <parameters /> <uri>https://video.xmpp-it.net/c/sch/videos</uri> </peertube> <xmpp> <parameters /> <uri>xmpp:sch@mov.im</uri> </xmpp>
or
<url> <label>My I2P Site</label> <uri>http://myi2psite.i2p</uri> <photo>http://myi2psite.i2p/logo.svg</photo> </url> <url> <label>📔️ My Journal</label> <uri>http://journal.myi2psite.i2p</uri> </url> <url> <label>My Business Site</label> <uri>http://mybusinesssite.i2p</uri> <photo>http://mybusinesssite.i2p/logo.svg</photo> </url> <url> <label>☁️ Movim</label> <uri>https://mov.im/?blog/sch</uri> </url> <url> <label>📺️ PeerTube</label> <uri>https://video.xmpp-it.net/c/sch/videos</uri> </url> <url> <label>💠️ My IPFS Nest</label> <uri>ipfs://hash_to_a_current_collection</uri> </url> <url> <label>🫏️ eDonkey2000</label> <uri>ed2k://my_ed2k_identity</uri> </url> <impp> <label>💡️ Jabber</label> <uri>xmpp:sch@mov.im</uri> </impp> <encryption> <label>🔐️ OpenPGP</label> <text>0000 1111 0000 1111 0000</text> </encryption> <encryption> <label>🖥️ SSH</label> <text>1111 0000 1111 0000 1111</text> </encryption>
Mr. Stephen Paul Weber has suggested to add a custom child element
Could also do a namespaced child element of <url/> {https://mycoolproject.com}branded-type or something
He has also raised the possibility for registering a new label, or adding "x-BRAND" to non-registered label.
use x (not suggested). It's not a perfect fit but you could use sort-as
I mean if you could come up with some more generic things than "peertube" (maybe social-video) is whatever I could see registering them as tuypes being not impossible. But it's work of course.
I am not sure whether I am ready to complicate this, and intervene with a standard node (urn:xmpp:vcard4), as it might lead to confusion amongst people who develop for XMPP for the first time, and also to myself.
Unless there is another XEP which I could use, I intend to create a custom Node Name, and a custom XML with labels and attributes that would indicate of types, and suggest of an XEP for an extended vCard to which I might call "Resource Collection" or "Reference Collection", or "Extended Virtual Card".
P.S. If I recall correctly, years ago, there were discussions about custom fields for XMPP Profile. I wonder how it was concluded.
Kind regards, Schimon
On Sat, 26 Oct 2024 19:47:03 +0300 Schimon Jehudah <sch@fedora.email> wrote:
Greetings, Marvin!
Thank you for your respond and reference!
Yes. I think a public profile page is indeed a vCard.
I will observe XEP-0292 and inform of further progress.
Cheers, Schimon
On Fri, 25 Oct 2024 17:52:12 +0200 Marvin W <xmpp@larma.de> wrote:
Hey,
Profile page sounds like vCard to me. You can have arbitrary many URLs in a vCard 4 and publish it via XEP-0292.
Best, Marvin
On Fri, 2024-10-25 at 07:53 +0300, Schimon Jehudah wrote:
Good day, one and all!
I want to work on an XEP which would define "link collections", which I think would also be useful for FASI (HTML invite page for XMPP), which already indicates of articles, when articles are present (see attached image).
See example profiles under "New Members" at https://libertylinks.io
Would Data Forms be the appropriate mean to achieve it?
Kind regards, Schimon _______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org