[Council] Notes on XEP-0262: Use of ZRTP in Jingle RTP Sessions

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed May 25 17:18:41 UTC 2011

On 5/25/11 10:50 AM, Matthew A. Miller wrote:
> Section 1. Protocol
> ===================
>
> * 2: The following sentence is missing some words (maybe an entity that isn't processed correctly?):
>
> 	"An alternative approach to end-to-end encryption of RTP traffic is provided by , developed by Phil Zimmermann, the inventor of "Pretty Good Privacy" (PGP)"
>
> * 1: There is no reference to the ZRTP specification (e.g. <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6189>)

XEP Editor error with a reference update. Fixed:

An alternative approach to end-to-end encryption of RTP traffic is
provided by RFC 6189 [3], developed by Phil Zimmermann, the inventor of
"Pretty Good Privacy" (PGP).

> Section 2. Determining Support
>
> * N: Example 4. A disco#info response is a bit short, if it's meant to be representative.  For instance, it lacks an <identity/>, and is missing <features/> for disco#info and other Jingle protocols.

That's not much different from, say, XEP-0216:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0261.html#example-16

The disco#info results are not meant to be representative, I think, only
to show the exact feature being defined in the relevant spec.