[GSoC] Mentor voting.

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 13:22:57 CDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Guus der Kinderen
> <guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm, sorry, I've startes adding scores yesterday. Won't scores average out?
>
> Yeah, np - I'm just trying to do a quick pass over (which isn't quick,
> because I'm busy at work), to move the rubbish to the bottom of the
> pile (some operations - like marking ineligible - aren't available
> once a proposal has a comment or vote on it).

Right, I've been through - there was only one non-spam proposal that I
think we should dismiss outright (a duplicate of an Apache
submission). Could people start voting on the proposals please? It's
fine to ask the students questions about their applications (and I'd
like at least one question asked of each student, to check they're
able to communicate and not likely to vanish and be uncontactable
during the project).

Please bear in mind that this is an almost 3month project of full-time
work, so proposals should be meaty enough to keen a competent student
occupied for hundreds of hours.

I've been unimpressed with a couple of applications where the students
haven't bothered to answer questions from the application form, or
provide JIDs (indeed the student who claimed they couldn't work out
how to get a JID, while posting from a gmail account is worrying).

That said - we've got some really strong applications as well, this
year, so this could be fun :)

/K