[GSoC] For 2015 mentors

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Nov 30 14:48:10 UTC 2015

Off the cuff, but I think this covers it:

Marvin W: Adding DNSSEC Support to Smack via miniDNS

A solid implementation of DNSSEC that can span everything from server to
mobile would be an accomplishment from any developer - to get this done
from scratch in a single summer as a student in GSoC really is amazingly
impressive. XMPP relies on DNS for federated service discovery, both from
client to server and between servers, and including DNSSEC in this
capability gives a huge uplift in security across the board, providing
cryptographically assured DNS lookups. Marvin implemented this in miniDNS,
and added the needed support to Smack, so this can now be available on
Android and desktop clients, and miniDNS can be used by servers as well.