[Foundation] Clarifications On Name Change Proposal

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Jun 30 21:35:12 CDT 2003


>>>>> "GL" == Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc at linuxweasel.com> writes:

    Me> 3) Does the Name Team have the option to simply re-propose the
    Me> name "Jabber"? Or to drop the name change project entirely,
    Me> based on further study?

    GL> The proposal is to remove the term "Jabber", so clearly
    GL> re-proposing "Jabber" wouldn't be an option for the Name Team.

    > [...]

    GL> The costs associated are to be investigated by the Name Team,
    GL> according to the proposal (Page 3, Name Change Procedure, Item
    GL> 2).

You're right, it's right in the middle of the proposal. My mistake on
missing that. 

However, I think it imprudent in most cases to make a decision
*first*, and estimate its costs *second*. It would be unfortunate if
the vote decided we _had_ to follow some course of action, only to
find out that it was a prohibitively difficult thing to accomplish
later.

I wonder aloud if taking step 1 out of the proposal would solve this
problem. The Name Team could then propose other names for a vote in
October, but the membership wouldn't be committed to dropping "Jabber"
until we had more facts available.

~ESP

-- 
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us






More information about the Members mailing list