[Members] Board minutes, 2009-12-04

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Dec 4 16:58:39 CST 2009


The XSF Board held an impromptu meeting earlier today.

Attendees: Florian Jensen, Peter Saint-Andre, Will Sheward, Nicolas Vérité

The Board was quorate.

Topics:

1. FOSDEM / XMPP Summit
2. New work teams

Consensus:

1. Hold the FOSDEM meetings as last year: hackfest on Friday, dev room
on Saturday, free day at FOSDEM on Sunday, official Summit on Monday

2. Bootstrap the new teams informally before imposing further structure
(e.g., team leads)

Action items:

1. Florian to work on finding meeting rooms and sleeping hotel in
Brussels for FOSDEM / XMPP Summit

2. Peter and Ralph Meijer to gather talks for the dev room

3. Nicolas and Peter to kick-start the communication team

4. Peter to kick-start the technical review team

5. Will to research prices and sources for t-shirts, stickers, and other
FOSDEM paraphernalia

Next meeting:

Wednesday, December 16 @ 18:00 UTC in xmpp:board at conference.jabber.org

/psa

The chat log follows...

###

*** 2009-12-04
[10:12:38] *** stpeter has set the subject to: XSF Board Room
[10:23:51] *** Will (will.sheward at isode.com/Burton) has joined the room
as a moderator and an administrator
[10:24:04] <Will> I'LL BE BACK AT 8PM
[10:24:16] <Will> without caps lock on obviously
[10:25:21] <stpeter> :)
[10:29:13] *** Will (will.sheward at isode.com/Burton) has left the room
[10:41:32] *** Nÿco (nyco at jabber.fr/PsiMac) has joined the room as a
participant
[10:41:39] <Nÿco> hi ;-)
[10:41:54] <Nÿco> the meeting is scheduled in 1:30, right?
[10:46:30] <stpeter> yes
[11:11:57] *** Nÿco (nyco at jabber.fr/PsiMac) has left the room
[12:01:10] *** Nÿco (nyco at jabber.fr/PsiMac) has joined the room as a
participant
[12:04:13] <Nÿco> no one?
[12:06:03] <stpeter> you and me :)
[12:06:47] <Nÿco> all right, let's start the meeting then... ;-)
[12:06:48] <stpeter> jack is online but away
[12:06:59] <stpeter> will and florian are offline
[12:07:07] <Nÿco> ok
[12:12:14] <Nÿco> btw, I've continued the Roundup... but offline, since
the wiki bugged, it seems I've reached the limit
[12:13:05] <stpeter> oh
[12:13:17] <stpeter> yes, we moved all the websites to a new machine
[12:13:23] <stpeter> and moved DNS
[12:13:29] <stpeter> so the wiki was offline for a little while
[12:13:33] <stpeter> it seems to be back
[12:13:40] <stpeter> but yes, let's publish an updated roundup!
[12:15:05] <stpeter> can you perhaps just update the draft in WordPress?
[12:15:17] <stpeter> let's publish that soon -- perhaps early next week?
[12:15:53] <Nÿco> yes, that was my timeframe, since it has grown up too much
[12:16:54] <stpeter> good
[12:19:55] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_lENENC) has joined the
room as a moderator and an administrator
[12:20:06] <Florian> Hi
[12:20:11] <Florian> Sorry if I'm late
[12:20:19] <stpeter> hey
[12:20:25] <Florian> Whole town lost internet
[12:20:29] <stpeter> I think you guys have a quorum now
[12:20:29] <stpeter> wow
[12:20:35] <stpeter> terrorist attack? :)
[12:20:37] <Florian> Fibre and ADSL
[12:20:57] <Florian> So I'll be on here for a while
[12:22:24] <Florian> I think flooded local PoP
[12:22:25] <stpeter> Jack is "Away"
[12:22:46] <stpeter> but I invited him anyway :)
[12:23:04] <Florian> :)
[12:23:06] <stpeter> so I think you guys might have a quorum (50%)
[12:23:24] *** Nÿco is now a moderator and an administrator
[12:26:28] <stpeter> anyway
[12:26:46] <stpeter> clearly we need to make some FOSDEM plans, and fast
[12:26:54] <stpeter> I need to decide if I'm going to be there :)
[12:27:25] *stpeter visits http://fosdem.org/2010/
[12:27:31] <stpeter> "63 days until FOSDEM."
[12:27:47] <stpeter> hey, nice, Cisco is a sponsor ;-)
[12:28:09] <stpeter> so, 6 and 7 February 2010
[12:28:14] *stpeter checks his calendar
[12:29:43] <stpeter> do we know exactly when we have a devroom?
[12:30:21] <Florian> Don't think so
[12:30:27] *stpeter pokes Ralph
[12:31:17] <stpeter> well, his presence says "shopping" :)
[12:31:41] <Nÿco> Xmas coming
[12:32:03] <stpeter> and Sinterklaas, in Holland
[12:32:10] <stpeter> well, the Netherlands :)
[12:32:19] <Nÿco> http://fosdem.org/2010/list-devrooms-their-call-talks
[12:32:27] <stpeter> right
[12:32:31] <stpeter> but no dates
[12:32:32] <stpeter> anyway
[12:32:36] <Nÿco> right
[12:32:40] <stpeter> it will be Saturday or Sunday
[12:32:59] <stpeter> I think it is Saturday morning -- Ralph told me but
I don't log IM messages on that account
[12:33:48] <stpeter> in any case, we need plan around that for the XMPP
Summit
[12:33:55] <stpeter> if we decide we're going to have a summit :)
[12:34:06] <stpeter> also one day or two days for the summit
[12:34:07] <stpeter> etc.
[12:34:43] *stpeter checks http://xmpp.org/summit/summit6.shtml
[12:34:58] <stpeter> ah, right, we had the Jingle Thingle on Friday
[12:35:13] <stpeter> Saturday we had the devroom
[12:35:19] <stpeter> Sunday was free
[12:35:29] <stpeter> then the Summit on Monday
[12:35:46] <Florian> Right
[12:35:52] *stpeter would like more coding and less talking :)
[12:36:11] *Nÿco would love more writing, more pubsub live
[12:36:18] <Nÿco> s/live/love/
[12:36:25] <Florian> I am +1 for the stuff we had last year
[12:36:44] <stpeter> Nÿco: by "writing" do you mean more documentation,
like http://xmpp.org/tech/
[12:37:10] <Florian> I think the 2 days were good
[12:37:15] <Florian> One for coding, one for spec'ing
[12:37:24] <Nÿco> not only, but also introducing, promoting, advocating,
etc.
[12:37:57] <Nÿco> xmpp makes some noise on Twitter for example, but not
enough outside
[12:38:07] <stpeter> I think the dev room is good for promoting -- it
was very crowded last year and developers seemed to like the talks quite
a bit
[12:38:13] <stpeter> ah
[12:38:14] <stpeter> I see
[12:38:22] <Florian> right
[12:38:50] <Florian> I would say xmpp goodies
[12:38:57] <Florian> And talks at FOSDEM
[12:39:10] <stpeter> goodies = t-shirts and stickers and so on?
[12:39:18] <Florian> Yes
[12:39:34] <Florian> Those went well last year
[12:39:43] <Nÿco> Goodies are a must, yes
[12:40:02] <stpeter> we need to charge more than 5 euros for t-shirts :)
[12:40:19] <Florian> Yeah
[12:40:29] <Florian> But not a lot more
[12:40:30] <Nÿco> the stikers were ok, we might redo that, or go forward
(and find new ideas and phrasings)
[12:40:37] <stpeter> I wonder if we can get the old Jabber banner back
from Ulrich
[12:40:38] *** Will (will.sheward at isode.com/HERMANN) has joined the room
as a moderator and an administrator
[12:40:42] <Florian> As that was one of the reasons everyone took one
[12:40:44] <stpeter> hi Will!
[12:40:50] <Florian> Hi will
[12:40:59] <stpeter> Florian: right, maybe 8 euros :)
[12:41:25] <Florian> Yeah
[12:41:28] <Will> eveing all
[12:41:38] <Will> evening even
[12:42:22] <stpeter> Mr. Moffitt is still marked as "Away"
[12:42:30] <stpeter> in any case
[12:43:05] <stpeter> maybe we can have a hackfest in a pub and call it
the PubSubPub"
[12:43:20] <stpeter> that would attract some developers :)
[12:43:20] <Nÿco> more Jingle interop testing also
Psi, Empathy, and Pidgin do a good job, must we must bring others in
[12:43:39] <stpeter> I think Jingle won't really take off until Google
updates their stuff
[12:43:49] <Nÿco> and subscribe to bar, and broadcast beer?
[12:43:49] <Florian> Yes, pub is always good
[12:43:58] <Nÿco> I love that idea! ;-)
[12:44:24] <stpeter> heh, yeah
[12:44:26] <stpeter> me, too
[12:44:32] <Nÿco> so, do we adopte the plan like last year?
[12:44:52] <Florian> I would say so
[12:44:52] <stpeter> and each "publish" is done by a sponsor (another round)
[12:45:21] <Florian> With some Pubsub pubbing on sunday?
[12:46:13] <stpeter> I think that schedule worked well
[12:46:22] <stpeter> but perhaps we need more of a focus for Friday
[12:46:43] <stpeter> or simply say that it's a hackfest and hard-core
developers will show up
[12:47:25] <Florian> Yeah
[12:47:52] <Nÿco> what else do we have to talk about today?
[12:48:14] <Will> communications team?
[12:48:15] <stpeter> perhaps separate groups for jingle, pubsub, etc. --
or divide it up by project or code language
[12:48:26] <stpeter> well, we need to find locations for our meetings in
Brussels
[12:48:43] <Florian> I can do that
[12:49:15] <stpeter> Florian: that's great -- perhaps Nÿco can help
since he speaks French, too
[12:49:26] <stpeter> I'm afraid I'm not much help with that, despite my
family name
[12:49:29] <Nÿco> yes
[12:49:48] <Will> i speak english-french (talking very loud and slow ;-)
[12:49:50] <stpeter> Will: yes, I would like to get the teams working
[12:50:00] <Nÿco> I got friends in Bruxelles, I can get dvices form them
[12:50:08] <stpeter> Nÿco: :)
[12:50:18] <Florian> :)
[12:50:26] <Will> i think the bedford should be avoided this year - bad wifi
[12:50:31] <stpeter> yeah
[12:50:34] <Florian> I'll be in Brussels from next Friday onwards
[12:50:38] <Nÿco> what are the requirements?
[12:50:41] <stpeter> Florian: ok, great
[12:51:02] <stpeter> Nÿco: last year, the hackfest had about 20 people
and the summit had 40
[12:51:06] <stpeter> (approximate)
[12:51:17] <Nÿco> all with a laptop?
[12:51:22] <Florian> Yeah
[12:51:51] <Florian> We also should find a hotel
[12:52:03] <stpeter> a hotel for sleeping or for meeting?
[12:52:14] <Florian> last year's hotel wasn't that good...
[12:52:15] <stpeter> are here other places to hold meetings (i.e., not
hotels)?
[12:52:18] <stpeter> Florian: agreed
[12:52:19] <Will> both - it'd be nice if the meet hotel offered
discounts for xsf members
[12:52:19] <Florian> Sleeping
[12:52:37] <Florian> Eh... I'll tale a look around
[12:52:58] <Florian> will: yeah
[12:53:05] <stpeter> Florian: ok, thanks
[12:53:32] <stpeter> about the "work teams", officially the Board needs
to approve them with a charter and all that
[12:53:53] <stpeter> but of course we've had the iteam for many years,
informally
[12:54:08] <Will> the comms team is new?
[12:54:23] <stpeter> I think the Board can approve the charters (if they
are acceptable) and the teams can get to work, choose leaders if they
care to, etc.
[12:54:27] <stpeter> comms and techreview are new
[12:54:33] <Nÿco> to me, it's ok so start informally
[12:54:39] <stpeter> Nÿco: I agree
[12:54:42] <Will> agree with nyco
[12:54:56] <Nÿco> techreview is really a good idea, I hope it'll work
[12:55:06] <Florian> +1
[12:55:07] <stpeter> Nÿco: I hope so too :)
[12:55:13] <stpeter> I think we'll start pushing on these after Christmas
[12:55:18] <stpeter> but do some preparations before then
[12:55:26] <stpeter> at least to let people know we're serious
[12:55:30] <Nÿco> however, I also like the idea that the commteam should
review the titles, abstracts, and intros for all XEPs
[12:55:39] <stpeter> Nÿco: yes
[12:55:51] <stpeter> I'll send some kick-off messages to those lists
[12:56:00] <Nÿco> I'm volunteering for the lastest
[12:56:01] <Nÿco> ;-)
[12:56:15] <stpeter> and perhaps we can schedule groupchats for
December, and certainly January
[12:56:33] <Nÿco> we have ML, but do we have MUC for each?
[12:56:35] <Will> are you up to date with subscriptions to the lists?
havent received a confirmation message from the comms list yet
[12:56:37] <stpeter> hmm, the mailing list is commteam instead of commsteam
[12:56:59] <Nÿco> or commstream
[12:57:11] <stpeter> Nÿco: we have installed Prosody at xmpp.org and we
have muc.xmpp.org so we can create rooms there now
[12:57:22] <Will> nice to see the new members volunteering
[12:57:31] <Nÿco> oh? surprise! I thought it was gonna be M-Link?
[12:57:32] <stpeter> one room for each team is good
[12:57:49] <stpeter> Nÿco: m-link is for jabber.org -- we try to keep
jabber.org separate from all xmpp.org stuff now
[12:57:55] <Nÿco> Will: yes, I'm well surprised that the new members
volunteer
[12:58:03] <Nÿco> oh yes, ok
[12:58:07] <stpeter> now we just need to get the old members to volunteer :)
[12:58:08] <Will> Nÿco: its good though yes?
[12:58:23] <stpeter> or perhaps force everyone to volunteer (forced
volunteering)
[12:58:25] <stpeter> ok
[12:58:27] <stpeter> so action items
[12:58:31] <stpeter> Florian will work on hotels
[12:58:41] <stpeter> Ralph and I will get people to sign up for talks
[12:58:43] <Nÿco> so we must map the to be created MUCs to these new ML,
for consistency
[12:58:57] <stpeter> Nÿco and I will post to the communications team
list and get that going
[12:58:59] <stpeter> Nÿco: yes
[12:59:09] <stpeter> I will post to the techreview list
[12:59:21] <Nÿco> action to the infrateam
[12:59:37] <Will> I've taken a day off next week to try and kick-start
the new website again. will post to list asking for volunteers to help
with content etc after thats done
[12:59:43] <stpeter> the iteam needs to formalize the new IM service,
but basically the iteam is functioning OK for now
[12:59:48] <stpeter> Will: super
[13:00:06] <stpeter> the iteam always has work to do :)
[13:00:12] <Florian> Heh
[13:00:28] <Will> i'll also start looking around for ideas/prices on
goodies/t-shirts etc
[13:00:28] <stpeter> so I think we're done for now?
[13:00:29] <Nÿco> it would be nice to let membres know how much they are
working
[13:00:33] <stpeter> Will: ok great
[13:00:38] <stpeter> Nÿco: agreed
[13:00:40] <Will> is jack coming?
[13:00:43] <Will> tonight
[13:00:51] <stpeter> I think the meeting was to start an hour ago, no?
[13:01:07] <stpeter> I probably got confused about the time :)
[13:01:09] <Nÿco> do we write the minutes?
[13:01:25] <stpeter> BTW I have pages for http://xmpp.org/xsf/teams/
[13:01:29] <stpeter> but I haven't launched them yet
[13:01:38] <stpeter> so we can fix those up
[13:01:59] <Nÿco> aouch, the commteam is weak!
[13:02:02] <Will> i thoght the meeting was due to start now
[13:02:09] <stpeter> Will: hmm, ok
[13:02:18] <stpeter> Nÿco: so far, but I haven't updated those pages in
a while
[13:02:25] <Nÿco> ok
[13:02:34] <Will> Nÿco: 2 of the new members volunteered for comms
[13:02:47] <stpeter> perhaps it's better to have those pages on the wiki
[13:02:52] <stpeter> more dynamic
[13:03:03] <Will> the comms team may lack numbers but it makes up for it
in quality ;-)
[13:03:15] <Nÿco> I believe that too ;-)
[13:03:21] <Florian> :-)
[13:03:22] <stpeter> heehee
[13:03:27] <stpeter> you bet!
[13:03:55] <Nÿco> btw, I think we have to publicly explicit the goal the
RFCbis, cause a lot of people get confused
[13:04:20] <stpeter> Nÿco: oh, I never thought about that!
[13:04:50] <Nÿco> that's the goal of the commteam (you're in ;-) )
[13:04:54] <stpeter> hehe
[13:05:08] <Will> peter's in every team - so much for taking it easy
this year, huh?
[13:05:10] <Nÿco> ok, then, action item for the commteam
[13:05:29] *** Florian2 (admin at im.flosoft.biz/homer) has joined the room
as a moderator and an administrator
[13:06:04] <Nÿco> we should also deal with Wave, and adopt a position
about that
[13:06:27] <Nÿco> should we adopt Wave-related XEPs for example?
[13:06:40] <stpeter> if they want to write them, sure!
[13:06:45] <stpeter> I might even work on that
[13:06:48] <Florian2> :)
[13:06:50] <stpeter> to define a client-server protocol
[13:06:55] <Florian2> sounds good
[13:06:57] <stpeter> but I haven't found the time yet
[13:07:01] <stpeter> Wave is still young
[13:07:12] <stpeter> eventually I think we'll have some XEPs about it
[13:07:16] <Nÿco> or at the opposite, could we reproduce the Wave
experience with PubSub and Jingle alone?
[13:07:43] <Nÿco> what makes you think that? contacts at Google?
[13:08:08] <stpeter> yes
[13:08:14] <Nÿco> so, have we finished the meeting?
[13:08:17] <stpeter> I have good communication with some of the Wave
developers
[13:08:22] <Nÿco> cool
[13:08:22] <stpeter> I think the meeting is finished
[13:08:25] <stpeter> we have some action items
[13:08:29] <stpeter> I can post minutes
[13:08:34] <Will> ok
[13:08:37] <Nÿco> ok, thx
[13:08:39] <Florian2> great, thanks
[13:08:47] <Nÿco> maybe we should add Wave to the next agenda
[13:08:53] <Nÿco> when is the next meeting?
[13:08:53] <stpeter> sure!
[13:08:56] <stpeter> righ
[13:09:01] <stpeter> next meeting?
[13:09:04] <Nÿco> not too close to Xmas, please ;-)
[13:09:18] <stpeter> what days of the week work best for you guys?
[13:09:26] <stpeter> I think Jack and I are pretty flexible
[13:09:27] <Florian2> the wednesday after next?
[13:09:38] <stpeter> 16th?
[13:09:39] <Will> wednesdays are better for me
[13:09:42] <Florian2> that's about 1,5 weeks from now
[13:09:48] <stpeter> Beethoven's birthday
[13:09:52] <stpeter> WFM
[13:10:07] <Nÿco> another item in he next agenda:
what standards body could normalize/standardize microblogging, if that's
not us?
most of the microblog systems are not federated nor realtime (push)
[13:11:30] <Nÿco> wednesday, 16th, ok, if it's not too late
19:00 UTC/GMT+1 would be great
[13:11:34] <stpeter> we can discuss agenda items on the board list or
the members list (I prefer members for most things because it is more
open and feedback is good)
[13:11:43] <stpeter> Nÿco: that time is fine here
[13:12:12] <Will> and here
[13:12:24] <Nÿco> ;-)
[13:12:26] <stpeter> OK, I'll put that in the minutes
[13:12:31] <stpeter> thanks, guys!
[13:12:36] <Nÿco> can we add that to the iCal?
[13:12:39] <Nÿco> thank you
[13:12:40] <stpeter> yes we can
[13:12:42] <stpeter> I'll do that
[13:12:44] <Nÿco> thx
[13:12:45] <stpeter> we have a way to do it
[13:13:09] <Florian2> coolio
[13:13:44] *stpeter updates http://xmpp.org/xsf/teams/communication/
[13:26:02] <stpeter> page updated
[13:26:05] <stpeter> chatroom created
[13:26:10] <stpeter> email to be sent soon
[13:26:45] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_lENENC) has left the
room (On Ze Mobile)
[13:28:59] <Nÿco> seen that, thx!
[13:29:26] <stpeter> Nÿco: what days work for you to hold a commteam meeting
[13:30:48] <Will> there's a typo on the page "The Team is limited to
elected members of the XSF" :-)
[13:30:57] <Will> i'm not elected
[13:31:29] <stpeter> :P
[13:31:31] <stpeter> yeah yeah yeah
[13:31:54] <Will> "The Team is limited to elected members of the XSF
..... and Will"
[13:39:41] <stpeter> Director trumps Member anyway
[13:42:22] <stpeter> Will and Nÿco: are you available for a
communication team meeting next Wednesday, December 9, at 18:00 UTC?
[13:42:43] <Will> i am
[13:44:05] <stpeter> ok
[13:44:12] <stpeter> I'll propose that date and time on the list
[13:44:21] <Nÿco> yes
[13:44:27] <stpeter> ok
[13:44:28] <stpeter> super
[14:13:03] *** Will (will.sheward at isode.com/HERMANN) has left the room


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 6820 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
URL: <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/members/attachments/20091204/9bd32a9f/attachment-0001.bin>


More information about the Members mailing list