[Members] Board minutes, 2010-02-24

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Feb 24 12:48:12 CST 2010


XSF Board Meeting, 2010-02-24

Agenda:

0. Roll call
1. Team leaders
2. XEP-0001
3. New website
4. "Note Well" Notice
5. Finance
6. Sponsors


Meeting notes:

0. Roll call.

All Board members in attendance, along with the Executive Director and
several XSF members.


1. Team leaders.

We have the following volunteers and, in accordance with the Bylaws, the
Board needs confirm them.

1a. Communication Team: Nicolas Vérité
1b. Infrastructure Team: Kevin Smith
1c. Technical Review Team: Fabio Forno

All team leaders approved.


2. XEP-0001.

Board not ready to vote on this. Peter to provide URL for reviewing the
diff since version 1.19.

http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0001/diff/1.19/vs/1.20rc2


3. New website

Will reports that the site is mostly done. He has a list of action items
for the Communication Team, to be discussed at the next CommTeam meeting
on Tuesday, March 2.

In addition, mobile theme to be activated.


4. "Note Well" notice

Peter to propose text for this, similar to
http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html at the IETF.


5. Finance

Still need to receive payment from Vodafone and Collabora for Summit
sponsorship. Vodafone required a DUNS number and Peter has applied for
that. Peter to ping Collabora as well.

T-shirt sales netted 740€ (or thereabouts, final accounting to follow).

6. Sponsors

Discussion about levels. Agreement that the levels already defined in
http://xmpp.org/xsf/docs/sponsorship.pdf are fine. Rename Titanium to
Diamond. Will to incorporate that PDF text into the new website and then
we can contact existing sponsors.


7. Next Meeting

March 10, 2010.


Meeting Adjourned.


Chat log follows....

###


[11:01:04] <jack> i dont' remember another meeting being scheduled, but
i saw peter mention it :)
[11:01:11] <Will> it's in the cal
[11:01:54] <stpeter> Will: indeed it is
[11:02:54] <jack> Does someone have a proposed agenda? I think we have
to bless Kev as iteam leader. But other than that i'm not aware of much
except for FOSDEM debrief
[11:03:17] *** Florian has joined the room as a participant
[11:03:20] <Florian> hi
[11:03:32] <stpeter> hi Florian
[11:03:40] <Florian> how come the calendar is still broken?
[11:03:40] <stpeter> jack: see board@ list for some items
[11:03:50] <stpeter> Florian: is it?
[11:04:01] <stpeter> the only thing that doesn't work for me is the
15-minute warnign
[11:04:03] <stpeter> warning
[11:04:07] <Florian> hmm
[11:04:09] <Florian> http://xmpp.org/calendar/xsf-all.ics
[11:04:29] <Nÿco> I got it working
[11:04:36] <stpeter> I'm subscribed to that and meetings magically
appear in my calendar
[11:04:41] <Florian> hmm
[11:04:56] <Florian> I'm missing the meetings
[11:04:59] <Florian> I got the XEP stuff
[11:05:02] <Florian> but no board meetings
[11:05:06] <stpeter> strange
[11:05:12] <Florian> anyway ...
[11:05:19] <Florian> we'll figure that out later
[11:05:35] <stpeter> :)
[11:05:52] <Nÿco> agenda? http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Board_horizon
[11:06:13] <Will> yes
[11:07:13] <stpeter> oh I should have updated that page
[11:08:44] <Florian> o ... let's start?
[11:08:46] <Florian> *so
[11:08:49] <stpeter> we have volunteers to lead all the team
[11:08:54] <stpeter> I mentioned those on the list
[11:09:07] <Will> then let's offially bless them :-)
[11:09:13] <Will> officially
[11:09:14] <stpeter> 1. Team leaders. We have the following volunteers
and in accordance with
the Bylaws the Board needs confirm them.

1a. Communication Team: Nicolas Vérité
1b. Infrastructure Team: Kevin Smith
1c. Technical Review Team: Fabio Forno

[11:09:27] <stpeter> (from my email message)
[11:09:35] <Will> no objections here, +1 confirm
[11:09:56] <Florian> +1
[11:09:59] <Nÿco> please RT-collab edit this one, for a fast minutes
posting at the very end of the present meeting:
http://etherpad.com/XSF-board-2010-02-24
[11:10:19] <Nÿco> +1
[11:10:29] <jack> +1
[11:10:55] <Florian> ooh, XMPP based?
[11:11:00] <stpeter> Florian: no
[11:11:04] <stpeter> but it's nice
[11:11:18] <Nÿco> unfortunately no...
[11:11:23] <stpeter> they've been bought by Google, too ;-)
[11:11:49] <stpeter> have any Board members review the proposed
modifications to XEP-0001?
[11:12:13] <stpeter> if not, I will updated the Board Horizon page with
direct URLs for review
[11:12:22] <Nÿco> I didn't take time, I confess: where are those modifs?
[11:12:25] <Will> not me
[11:12:32] <stpeter> Nÿco: I'll update the wiki page
[11:12:35] <Nÿco> thx
[11:12:59] <Florian> I haven't had time yet :/
[11:13:18] <stpeter>
http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0001/diff/1.19/vs/1.20rc2 is the
diff
[11:13:30] <stpeter> but the Board can discuss that at its next meeting
[11:14:04] <Nÿco> mostly small edits?
[11:14:12] <stpeter> yes
[11:14:20] <stpeter> and corrections
[11:14:35] <stpeter> but I can provide a summary in a message to the Board
[11:14:37] <stpeter> next item?
[11:14:38] <stpeter> :)
[11:14:41] <Florian> yup
[11:14:48] <stpeter> website?
[11:14:58] <Will> yes, running a bit behind schedule (surprise!)
[11:14:59] <Nÿco> ok
[11:14:59] <stpeter> http://stage.xmpp.org/
[11:15:08] <Will> mostly done, i have a list of things to do - which
i'll post to the commteam list. we'll divide them up between us (we have
a commteam meeting next tuesday).
[11:15:09] <stpeter> Will: what can we (and XSF members) do?
[11:15:14] <Will> see above
[11:15:16] <stpeter> ok
[11:15:32] <Florian> cool
[11:15:33] <Nÿco> at the bottom:
"This is a WordPress site, using the Carrington Theme."
can/should we remove this mention?
[11:15:42] <Florian> we shouldn't
[11:15:44] <Will> i think we should namecheck carrington
[11:16:07] <Nÿco> Will: can you please create accounts?
[11:16:28] <Will> Nÿco: yes, i'll do this tomorrow and email people direct
[11:16:42] <Will> when i post to commteam list
[11:16:45] <stpeter> super
[11:17:00] <Nÿco> thx!
[11:17:14] <Will> brings us onto sponsors....
[11:17:15] <stpeter> in my email message I also raised this as an issue:

IPR over contributions

We need something like http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html for the
XSF so it's clear that we can legitimately re-use text posted to the
lists and in the chatrooms, protect ourselves from submarine patents,
and so on.

[11:17:19] <Nÿco> do you need us to review specific stuff?
[11:17:19] <stpeter> oh ok :)
[11:17:38] <Will> Nÿco: website - yes, and add to certain sections
[11:17:46] <stpeter> I can work on proposed text for a "note well" notice
[11:17:52] <Florian> great
[11:17:54] <Nÿco> what's the note well about?
[11:17:56] <Will> stpeter: cool
[11:18:10] <stpeter> one of the companies that sponsored the Summit
asked me about this some time ago :)
[11:18:32] <jack> new website is much more dynamic; i like it.
[11:18:34] <Nÿco> Will: can you please list on the email to commteam,
the items we have to review/check/create/etc. ?
[11:18:37] <stpeter> jack: indeed
[11:18:38] <jack> i will miss the one click to rfc link though :)
[11:18:46] <jack> not as fond of the menu at the top
[11:18:49] <jack> but i can live with it :)
[11:18:55] <jack> wait
[11:18:57] <Will> jack: you just like it because of the collecta widget
[11:19:07] <jack> hmm. this won't work on iphone will it?
[11:19:09] <Nÿco> jack: no need, type rfc in the browser location bar,
this is this first proposed item...
[11:19:12] <Nÿco> ;-)
[11:19:19] <stpeter> Nÿco: :)
[11:19:30] <Will> jack: there's a mobile theme adjunct to the carrington
theme we're using - i';ll activate tomorrow
[11:19:36] <jack> will: cool
[11:20:16] <stpeter> ok, sponsors?
[11:20:26] <Nÿco> jack: good point, we need to check out how that works
on mobile
[11:20:41] <stpeter> BTW, I think that perhaps one or two of the dinner
sponsors still need to pay?
[11:20:53] <Will> stpeter: who? me?
[11:20:54] <Florian> oh?
[11:20:54] <stpeter> Florian: do you have records of that?
[11:21:07] <stpeter> IIRC, Collabora said they would pay afterward
[11:21:23] <stpeter> and I remember adding 100 euros of my own money to
the pot :)
[11:21:40] <Florian> I had money from all but Vodafone and yes, Collabora
[11:21:43] <stpeter> right
[11:22:05] <stpeter> Vodafone wanted the XSF to have a "DUNS Number" so
I have applied for that, but it takes 4-6 weeks
[11:22:12] <Florian> ah
[11:22:15] <Florian> what's that?
[11:22:26] <Tobias> DUNS?
[11:22:34] <Will> some financial bank thing
[11:22:38] <Will> number
[11:22:39] <stpeter> "A D&B® D-U-N-S® Number is a unique nine-digit
sequence recognized as the universal standard for identifying and
keeping track of over 100 million businesses worldwide."
[11:22:57] <Will> stpeters in marketing for DUNS ;-)
[11:22:59] <Nÿco> Will: I got two Android phones: on my Samsung Galaxy,
it loads forever: is it because of the Collecta widget?
[11:23:00] <stpeter> from http://www.dnb.com/US/duns_update/
[11:23:10] <stpeter> anyway, so that will be delayed
[11:23:17] <stpeter> but I will poke our friends at Collabora
[11:23:27] <Will> Nÿco: possibly but i'd wait till the mobile theme is
active before trying
[11:23:32] <Nÿco> ok
[11:23:45] <Florian> more sponsors ...
[11:23:54] <Florian> Who do we have, until when?
[11:23:55] <stpeter> I also have 740€ to deposit into the XSF bank account
[11:24:03] <stpeter> from t-shirt sales
[11:24:08] <Florian> ah right
[11:24:28] <Will> where are the leftover t-shirts?
[11:24:35] <Florian> I have them in Brussels
[11:24:44] <Florian> couldn't take them with me ... bit too many :)
[11:24:55] <Will> ok - might as well try and sell them on the site
(people won't see the colour properly!)
[11:25:05] <Florian> lol
[11:25:51] <stpeter> heh
[11:26:20] <Florian> so, what about usual sponsors?
[11:26:24] <stpeter> Florian: you could send them to the States and we
could try to sell them at Summit #9 (although we will have fewer
opportunities to sell them there)
[11:26:29] <stpeter> yes, sponsors
[11:26:33] <Will> we need to decide who is a sponsor
[11:26:51] <Will> and what we'd charge to renew/join sponsorship
[11:27:09] <Will> any ideas?
[11:27:15] <stpeter> as I said on the list, I think our sponsors are in
fact the companies who have sponsored the summits, at this point
[11:27:15] <jack> twisted foundation has a tiered structure. we could
just borrow that
[11:27:24] <Will> link?
[11:27:35] <stpeter> jack: we are supposed to have a tiered structure as
well, but we don't really follow it or use it
[11:27:36] <Florian> I'd say, 2,5k; 5k;10k;20k+
[11:27:37] <jack> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/
[11:27:43] <jack> they are currently in their sponsorship drive
[11:27:48] <jack> so all of that stuff is on the front page
[11:29:04] <Will> reading now
[11:29:11] <Florian> Diamond: $20,000
Platinum: $10,000
Gold: $5,000
Silver: $1,000
Bronze: $500
Aluminum: $50
[11:29:35] <stpeter> we do have http://xmpp.org/xsf/docs/sponsorship.pdf
[11:29:37] <Florian> let's skip Aluminium
[11:29:45] <stpeter> not sure why we're reinventing the wheel here
[11:29:49] <Nÿco> and plastic: $1
[11:30:10] <stpeter> we have it defined, we just haven't pursued
sponsors, applied the levels, etc.
[11:30:21] <Will> stpeter: i'd not seen that pdf (i think)
[11:30:25] <stpeter> e.g., you are supposed to get special things for
donating more, but we don't do that now
[11:30:26] <Florian> I like the Twistedmatrix levels
[11:30:32] <Nÿco> that's fine, ls revive that, no?
[11:30:49] <Will> we need to attach 'benefits' to each level we have
[11:31:00] <Florian> I'd say, Diamond is automatically sponsor of events
[11:31:04] <Will> not sure we have engough to justify 4 levels
[11:31:21] <stpeter> Florian: our levels right now are Silver = 1000,
Gold = 2500, Platinum = 10k, Titanium = 25k
[11:31:24] <Nÿco> Will: it depends on the capacity of our sponsors
[11:31:42] <Florian> stpeter: yeah those levels are good
[11:31:49] <stpeter> you do know that basically we have been living off
the money Google sent us in 2005 :)
[11:32:02] <Florian> stpeter: how much was that?
[11:32:06] <stpeter> $25k
[11:32:07] <Florian> 25k?
[11:32:08] <Nÿco> much lie Mozilla ;-)
[11:32:10] <Florian> :)
[11:32:13] <Will> :-)
[11:32:27] <Florian> if we promote these levels correctly
[11:32:36] <Florian> we could get Nokia for Titanium; Google again ...
[11:32:37] <stpeter> oh, that was 2006
[11:32:45] <stpeter> but early in 2006 IIRC
[11:32:56] <Will> stpeter: we should ask them if they want to renew ;-)
[11:32:57] <Florian> let's rename Titanium to Diamond though
[11:33:12] <Will> and tell them they're 3 years late (please send 75k)
[11:33:21] <stpeter> heh
[11:33:59] <stpeter> well, IMHO, we need to have a better description of
what we plan to spend money on -- to date that is mainly the summits and
once in a while a new machine
[11:34:07] <Will> ok - shall i take an action to incorporate thae pdf
content into the new site for potential sponsors to look at - then we
can approach people?
[11:34:17] <stpeter> Will: that would be good, yes
[11:34:22] <Nÿco> ok
[11:34:26] <Will> ... and add benefits to each level? which we can discuss
[11:34:31] <Nÿco> adding an XMPP logo should be done also
[11:34:35] <Will> ok - i'll do that then.
[11:34:38] <Nÿco> thx
[11:35:23] <Florian> cool
[11:35:33] <stpeter> http://etherpad.com/XSF-board-2010-02-24 updated :)
[11:35:35] <Florian> any wiki page where we can define sponsor benefits?
[11:35:45] <Florian> or on etherpad?
[11:35:49] <Nÿco> on the website, that should be enough
[11:35:51] <stpeter> Florian: there will be once you create the page
[11:36:13] <Florian> ok ...
[11:36:15] <stpeter> etherpad is great for taking notes in meetings, not
as great for longer-term changes
[11:36:18] *stpeter shrugs
[11:36:24] <Nÿco> true
[11:36:32] <Florian> If you don't mind, I'll go over the document
[11:36:33] <Will> yeah, stick to wiki for discussing stuff over time
[11:36:34] *stpeter checks http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Board_horizon for
more agenda items
[11:36:40] <Nÿco> so, we have cover al our agenda items?
[11:36:45] <Will> i think we have
[11:36:45] <Florian> and do some changes to the stuff
[11:37:20] <stpeter> who has records for the t-shirt sales? Edwin? Dave?
[11:37:46] <stpeter> I'll ping those guys
[11:37:53] <stpeter> I don't see any other agenda items
[11:37:56] <stpeter> next meeting?
[11:38:06] <Florian> same time, next week?
[11:38:06] <stpeter> in 2 weeks?
[11:38:10] <jack> i am not here net week
[11:38:10] <stpeter> or 1 week?
[11:38:11] <stpeter> ok
[11:38:13] <jack> so 2 weeks would be good
[11:38:18] <stpeter> so March 10 = 2 weeks
[11:38:19] <Florian> 2 weeks it is
[11:38:28] <Will> ok
[11:38:41] <stpeter> etherpad makes it easy to do the minutes :)
[11:38:44] <Florian> :)
[11:39:07] <Nÿco> definitely
[11:39:13] <stpeter> so I think we're done?
[11:39:23] <Florian> yup
[11:39:28] <Nÿco> now, ultimate question: who sends the chat logs and
meeting notes to the member list?
[11:39:30] <Will> +1 for going away
[11:39:30] <stpeter> hmm I never updated http://xmpp.org/xsf/board/ with
the Chair
[11:39:35] *** luca tagliaferri has left the room
[11:39:50] <Nÿco> you should update it with a keyboard...
[11:39:53] <stpeter> Nÿco: I can do that
[11:39:55] <Will> lol
[11:40:01] <Nÿco> ok, thx


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 6820 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
URL: <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/members/attachments/20100224/42aaec96/attachment.bin>


More information about the Members mailing list