[Members] Board Minutes 20141208T1600Z

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Dec 8 17:19:29 UTC 2014


These Board minutes have not been formally approved by the Board.

Present: Laura Gill (Chair), Ralph Meijer, Simon Tennant, Will Sheward
Late: Adam Brault
Floor: Dave Cridland (Scribe), Matthew Miller (XSF Editor), Peter
Saint-Andre (Executive Director)

0. Agenda Bashing - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-12-08/#16:03:35

        1.      Update on actions from last week
2. Confirm video session (happening after meeting) - subject, Adam’s
website email and Will’s Board Goal’s work
3. Perception vs reality
4. Social media / comms team
5. Sponsorship
6. Open invention Network email
7. Update from Editors team (m&m)
8. Update from Kev on GSoC
9. AOB
10. Date & Time of next

1. Update on actions from last week -
http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-12-08/#16:04:35

Simon noted the link for video was online:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/107924687126542617662/events/cup8gjh1inoaom85egqu4l53f28

Simon also said he'd spoken to Neustradamus and obtained a list of his
social media accounts under XSF/XMPP branding.

Kev removed the comms team page.

The final item was Board goals comments.

[Adam arrives]

2. Confirm Video Session - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-12-08/#16:11:18

All in agreement is would occur after the meeting.

3. Perception vs Reality - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-12-08/#16:11:57

Simon said he has a search running for mentions of XMPP, and noted such
statements as https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8693618

Adam suggested that the approach needed was blogging and proactive
responses with links back to the website with specific pages answering
misconceptions. Laura wondered about the links; Adam clarified he meant
links in answering comments driving traffic to the XSF website.

Will suggested the answer was "engage, explain, educate".

General consensus was that everyone needed to address comments like this,
and Laura noted that we need a bank of answers, such as the new FAQ site.

Simon suggested that sharing the responsibility generally would probably
lead to nobody stepping up; Will countered that having a single person
responsible would be a bottleneck.

Ralph and Adam both said they wished to concentrate on the higher levels of
the stack; promoting XMPP APIs rather than the wire protocol features.
Laura said this was a goal of the new website.

ACTION: Laura/Simon to add it as an open FAQ item.

5. Sponsorship - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-12-08/#16:23:16

Erlang Solutions have expressed an interest in becoming a sponsor.
Laura/Dave discussed how the mechanics of sponsorship work.

ACTION: Laura will follow up.

6. Open Invention Network - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-12-08/#16:28:12

DEFERRED

7. Update from XSF Editor Team -
http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-12-08/#16:28:24

Matthew reported:

The XSF Editor Team is responsible for the actual publication and
maintenance of the XEPs, and also manages the XMPP Registrar function,
which is itself updated via XEPs.

The Editor Team has existed for almost a year, with 6 members and Peter.
The team is essentially divided into two groups, those dealing with the
current manual process and those working on automation.

Ashley Ward and Matthew Miller focus on the current manual process of
publishing. Winfried Tilanus is working on scripts to help automate most of
the XEP publication process. The others started to help on the editor@ list
moderation, but haven't been heard from in some time.

Laura asked if the Board should revisit who is on the team. Matthew agreed,
though noted that finding the current set of volunteers was difficult.

Some suggestions for incentives for team members followed. Laura suggested
a vote, and Adam suggested that the XSF Editor function was a key function,
as with the Council etc.

Matthew noted that he and Ash are handling the manual process, but Winfried
needs help with environments.

Matthew noted that with more manpower, he would like to see the Editor team
be more proactive on some things, such as Arc Riley's proofreading
initiative. Ralph wondered if Arc might consider joining the team, Matthew
agreed.

ACTION: Ralph and Matthew to discuss and report back next week.

10. Date and time of next - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-12-08/#16:51:25

20141215T1600Z

Will sent apologies, Adam may also not make it.

11. Ite, Meeting Est - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-12-08/#16:52:23
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/members/attachments/20141208/db85939f/attachment.html>


More information about the Members mailing list