[standards-jig] Developmen Standards

temas temas at box5.net
Tue Aug 14 01:37:20 UTC 2001

Well this one finally caught my eye, and I feel I need to stir the pot
here a little bit.  A few lines in here tickle me wrong.  I'll chop them
out below.

Michael Bauer wrote:

>The Development Standards describe what software development practices
>should be followed in order to effectively integrate software within the
>Jabber infrastructure.  Effectively integrating software centers around the
>delivering software that substantially conforms to relevant protocols,
>behaves appropriately within the overall Jabber environment, and is
>developed in a spirit of mutual cooperation.

"... developed in a spirit of mutual cooperation"
I can understand why this sounds great, but if I was an outside company
it would sound to me that unless my product was open in some way than it
wasn't getting past this marker.  Jabber should be acceptable in all
scenarios as long as they conform to the protocol guidelines.

>Software should conform to a set of Jabber protocols.  Submissions should be
>accompanied by a clear description of which draft, core, or alternative
>protocols the software conforms to as defined by relevant namespaces.
>
>Whether included with a software submission or not, extensions to the Jabber
>protocols should be described with a Jabber Enhancement Proposal (JEP -
>http://foundation.jabber.org/jeps/) that's been submitted to the appropriate
>Jabber Interest Group (JIG - http://foundation.jabber.org/jigs.html).
>
>Operational integrity of software is up to the individual developer or
>company.  Effort should be made on the part of the developer to create
>software that conforms across all relevant protocol categories and across
>all operating environments.  Effort should be made on the part of the users

"...and across all operating environments."
This just seems like it's asking for trouble, and in reality seems
rather broad.  Personally, I'm a strong believer in specialized apps,
working in unison with their operating environment rather than some
abstraction layer.