[standards-jig] Re: [JDEV] Internationalization

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Nov 4 23:17:21 UTC 2001

At 16:04 Uhr -0700 04.11.2001, David Waite wrote:
>First though, I'm wondering what this is meant to solve. Do users
>need to know other user's locale

That is one reason, although in my eyes not the most important. They
don't *need* to know, but for some things it could indeed be usable.

Note that a full locale specified also includes an encoding part,
e.g. de_DE.ISO_8859-1
This could be useful for some transports to guess the encoding they
should use, e.g. IRC-t

>  or is this just because the current jabber namespaces use english
>text so much for user instructions, updates, and errors?

Indeed, that is for me the most important part.

>Perhaps we should instead focus on using XML instead of english text
>to convey instructions and errors? That was, after all, one of the
>main points behind XML :-)

I don't see how you can encode every possible need for automatic test
messages in XML, including fill words etc. I am thinking here e.g. of
iq:gateway. How would you fully encode every possible meaning there?

Of course, XML "forms" are another important thing that is needed
(and people talk about it for well over a year now, but nothing is
happening :/). But it can't be a full substitute for locale support
in my eyes.

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer