[standards-jig] Re: [docs] Doc feedback - things that should be fixed

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 15:48:27 UTC 2001

At 04:22 PM 10/15/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Well, DJ Adams, Peter Saint-Andre, and I are at the head of the
>Standards-JIG effort to begin new documentation. As you mentioned, we are
>working on documenting Jabber piece-by-piece. We're starting with all of
>the currently implement namespaces, and we'll eventually get to
>jabber:client (the core of Jabber as it stands now). These documents can
>then all be linked together however people please, but our effort is to
>create the official documents for the Jabber protocol, not necessarily to
>create a convenient book for people to read through (although our
>documents should tie together fairly well).

This is excellent.  We definitely need to do it too.

>My feeling is that we need to define what the standards actually are
>before we begin trying to describe them to people. By describing the
>standards in the fashion we did jabber:x:event, I feel we can do that.

I also agree with this.  Many are not easy to understand, or leave out
important details.

>We have a place to put our stuff in CVS, now we just need people to start
>volunteering to document the various namespaces in the fashion DJ Adams did.

It would be nice to put together a webspace with this plan spelled out, a
roadmap for approximate completion times/dates, and perhaps DJ's doc as an
example of what we're doing.  I've been pushing for a similar one on the
security-jig and I think it will be a good idea for this jig as well.

-iain