[standards-jig] 0k & hash (was: Doc feedback - things that should be fixed)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Oct 16 18:17:42 UTC 2001

>Just from a logical and "clean" perspective, it would really bother
>me to make the spec follow the current implementation.  Using the
>ascii representation introduces a lot of unnecessary complexity to
>the standard (you must enforce lower case hex

This is not an in any programming language I know (Assembler, C, C++,
ObjC, Java, Perl, Python, etc.).

>and do you pad left with zeros or not

This is not an issue either, it is clearly settled by the SHA-1 specification.

>, etc) and computational overhead doing the string conversions for each hash.

That is a point, agreed, but I doubt the lost few milliseconds (if it
is that much) are worth bothering. Maybe on a high-load jabber
server, but a) there are worse bottle necks in the server currently I
belive, and b) auth is not something done as frequently as sending
messages/presence.

Just my two cents,

Max (who was there before all these Jigs, and probably should
subscribe to some of them :)
Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:max at quendi.de>