[standards-jig] [seybold2001] Simplicity and resilience in standards (fwd)

Scott Cote scote25 at mediaone.net
Wed Sep 19 15:37:49 UTC 2001

Amen! Just take a look a a posting by Julian Fitzell on the DEV list for
evidence
of Jabber having the clarity more of HTML than TCP.

>> So looking in message.c it's quite clear that the code is written
assuming that <x>
>> and <body> do not appear together in one message... is this a rule?  The
protocol
>> spec is unclear on this but if it is then JabberIM is breaking it.

Please forgive me for being harsh. Its just the same kind of frustration
that caused me
to give up on Java thats making me sour about Jabber. A whole lot of good
work has
been put in place for JEPs yet I feel that before the protocol is extended
it needs a
single clear and concise definition that can resolve questions like the one
above.

Again, I'm sorry for the rant. My emotions are simply porporitional to the
excitement
I had for Jabber a while back.

Thanks,

-Scott