[standards-jig] x:data and XML Forms

Max Metral Max.Metral at peoplepcHQ.com
Tue Apr 2 20:12:10 UTC 2002

And so you're recommending building something entirely different in the
meantime?  How is that better than implementing something "inspired by"
their standard?

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Muldowney [mailto:temas at box5.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 2:57 PM
To: standards-jig at jabber.org
Subject: RE: [standards-jig] x:data and XML Forms

I have a few problems.  First, I'm not a big fan of only partially
implementing a standard.  This creates situations like Netscape and IE
for HTML.  The standard is a standard as a whole, not in pieces.  If it
marks portions as optional, fine don't implement those, but if it's not
optional, you need to support it.  Which ties into my other main
concern, if we look at the XForms spec as posted in the last call
working draft I'm not seeing it flag bindings and multiple forms in a
document as optional.  This means we probably need to understand XPath
more complete in clients as well as the server.  It also adds a lot more
namespace usage, which we're still struggling to figure out how to
tackle.

While this may be useful in the future (read: once it's an official
standard), I think we need to be realistic about what we can go forward
with in the now.

Food for thought

--temas

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0004.html