[standards-jig] Future Client Expectations

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 06:14:19 UTC 2002

On 4/4/02 1:17 PM, "Jonathan Pobst" <jpobst at utk.edu> wrote:

> Currently, clients have to write handlers for things like JUD, gateway
> registration, joining group chat, vcards, and stuff.  I would think that if
> we had something like xdata, we would just go to one of these functions on
> the server, let it send us the form, we display it, and return the result.
> This way, we have implemented all these features without actually doing any
> work other than the initial xdata implementation.

:)  Of course, why not just support HTML over IM and do everything in
standard web forms?  Or WAP/WML?  At first blush it may seem that I'm being
facetious but I'm semi-serious.  Even mobile devices come with browsers
these days.  The logical extreme could be to do all processing server side,
make the client a simple web browser with a continuous connection for HTML
over IM...

As weird as it sounds, it has an odd ring of a workable solution to me.
Perhaps I'm not thinking straight though.

-iain