[standards-jig] Digital ID support in Vista

Ashvil ashvil at i3connect.net
Tue Apr 9 05:42:46 UTC 2002

The latest beta of Vista 1.4 now supports Digital IDs (from Verisign, etc.). It shows signed presence and signs/encrypts messages.

We implemented this using the Digital ID support that MS has. From the protocol side, we used the x elements in Presence and Message tags similar to what PGP encryption does today.  I expect the protocol to be tweaked in the next few days and we will document and publish it then.

As it was discussed here, a few weeks back there are lot of unanswered questions. And I don't claim to know the answers. What I expect is that Vista will give us the feedback in this area and I will pass it on to this group.

Regards,
Ashvil