[standards-jig] Web status indicator

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Apr 9 06:30:51 UTC 2002

Two things I'd really like to see in Jabber.

1) A way of embedding a small icon in a web page that shows my Jabber
status; Online, away etc. This would presumably be a service from the
server. This is already available from ICQ and Y! and things like
http://status.webhop.net and Presenceworks provide it for MSN and AIM as
a third party. I've been trying to encourage both of them to support
Jabber as well.

2) A way of constructing a link in a web page that when clicked opens a
chat session with me. This opens a nasty can of standards worms about
compatibility with all the other IM systems. What if I use Jabber but
the link is for a partner that uses MSN/ICQ/Aim?

Julian Bond    email: julian_bond at voidstar.com
CV/Resume:         http://www.voidstar.com/cv/
WebLog:               http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173  T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
ICQ:33679568 tag:So many words, so little time