[standards-jig] Web status indicator

David Sutton jabber at dsutton.legend.uk.com
Tue Apr 9 08:04:02 UTC 2002

Hi Julian,

Julian Bond wrote:
> Two things I'd really like to see in Jabber.
>
> 1) A way of embedding a small icon in a web page that shows my Jabber
> status; Online, away etc. This would presumably be a service from the
> server. This is already available from ICQ and Y! and things like
> http://status.webhop.net and Presenceworks provide it for MSN and AIM as
> a third party. I've been trying to encourage both of them to support
> Jabber as well.

There already exists ways of doing this, however there isn't a
centralised way of doing it for all servers. I guess this could be done
by having a single 'presence' server which people could opt into, by
adding it to their roster. This server would then be queried by anyone
wanting to find out a users status. A good example of this, on a small
scale, is http://www.ralphm.net/world (Click on the 'English' link on
the top left hand corner if necessary)

Regards,

   David