[standards-jig] Digital ID support in Vista

Ashvil ashvil at i3connect.net
Wed Apr 10 04:52:38 UTC 2002

>  Why  didn't you use the existing method?
If you mean the PGP security, that would not work for us. We wanted the
Presence to be signed with a Digital Certificate that was signed by a
Certifying Authority.

As far as I know, the PGP security does not have Certifiying Authorities
structure in place like Versign, etc.

>Why didn't you wait until we've  formalized on something new and accepted?

There was a discussion on this topic on this list and the consensus seemed
to be that we need to understand more on this topic. The only way to
understand more is to get feedback from a project in the real world. We
expect customers will tell us what's right and what's wrong. And we will
provide this feedback to Jabber community.

Once we have an official standard for Digital IDs in place, Vista will
support it.

>Basically now we'll have
> another standard around for a while that some clients might want to
> support.  It's not the end of the world, but it is a bit annoying to
> some people.

I see this a good thing and the result of the Jabber protocol being
extensible. Clients will support what make sense to them. But as different
JEPs get standardized, this should get less annoying :-)

Regards,
Ashvil