[standards-jig] Publish-Subscribe JEP status

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Wed Apr 10 14:05:57 UTC 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 07:29:51AM -0600, Dave Smith wrote:

> Well, if you look at all the examples that JEP 21 and 24 use, they all have
> elements which are defined in the jabber:client protocol namespace. This is
> really where I have a problem. For instance...

>[examples...]
>
> This packet demonstrates several interesting points. First off, it is

Ah, yes, very interesting. Food for thought indeed. Let's take this
up when we get together. (Why did I think 'JAM' when I saw those
examples ;-)

> > If I were to pick a point of discontent, it would be the fact that I'm
> > just a little concerned that nothing has been really said until recently.
>
> You mean that no one from JINC said anything until recently?

Well, it does seem to have been a _bit_ mysterious, finding out about
this new 3rd angle only recently - perhaps it's just my suspicious
nature - it's probably paranoia or something on my part, sorry :-)
It's just that I saw a Pubsub item on the JabberConf schedule a while
ago, and was wondering what it was about (whether it was the talk I'd
originally suggested as an example - bearing in mind I can't attend
on these new dates - or something else...).

> > (Also, Piers and I discussed topic management, and came to the concensus
> > that pubsub should be pubsub, and topic management should be handled
> > separately/independently. I think that it's perhaps more of a iq:browse
> > 'style' problem space.)
>
> Uh, ok. I think this boils down to a philosophical difference in the
> approach -- I view pub/sub as an operation which is done upon a "topic". So
> you could give pub/sub a more formal title of "publishing and subscribing to
> topics".  I'm not sure how you could handle topic management
> independently/seperately. I'm open to discussion tho. :)

:-) Indeed, this is exactly the sort of discussion we need.

dj