[standards-jig] Pubsub fun

Dave Smith dizzyd at jabber.org
Thu Apr 11 22:21:11 UTC 2002

Greetings...

There is a middle ground to be found here. As several people have noted,
there were fundamental differences in the design goals between the JINC
(yet-to-be-proposed) version and JEPs 21/24. That doesn't mean we can't
compromise and get them working together. This sort of contention is a good
thing to have in the community because it means that different approaches to
the same problem are being explored. Sometimes, that exploration is better
done without consultation of the community.

Both JEP 21 and 24 were put forward without a huge amount of community
effort or discussion. No one had their feelings hurt, no one seemed to have
any problems with them. Why does even the mention of a JINC proposal seem to
upset people so much?

I hardly know what to say beyond that. I'm frustrated by the assumptions and
alternative standards that people hold JINC (and correspondingly, the
long-time Jabber developers who work there) to.  I suppose it happens when
you have two entities which have such wildly different goals trying to work
together. There's bound to be tension.

I say all of this to get some of my own feelings out in the open. As always,
I am open to discussion about this matter and hope that we can all
just.."get along". :)

Onward, ho.

Diz