[standards-jig] Advanced authentication

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Mon Apr 15 05:05:11 UTC 2002

I've put together a proposal called the "Advanced Authentication
Framework". It is designed to build more complex authentication
mechanisms than what is currently possible under the jabber:iq:auth
namespace (eg public key, Kerberos, etc). Kinda like SASL.

I've also written proposals for plaintext, digest and zero-knowledge
authentication that sits on top of this framework, and a new one (public
key), as an example of what we can do with it that can't be done with
the existing system.

My motivation for this is that as part of trying to sell Jabber to my
employer (if I get funding - hopefully next year), it will eventually
need to do client certificate authentication, since that is way things
are moving at the moment.

I'm not submitting it to the council just yet, because I know the
proposals as they stand are not complete. Also, I want to get some
comments and discussion to make sure that I am going about this the
right way.

So, if you're interested, I'd appreciate you taking a look, and posting
some comments to the list:

    http://cataclysm.cx/jabber/advanced-auth/

Cheers,
Rob.