[standards-jig] Pub/Sub Explanation

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Tue Apr 16 17:55:33 UTC 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 11:59:52AM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>[...]
> we have pure pull, pure push, or hybrid depends on what kind of data
> is being published. Think of a simple pub/sub system for weblogs. I
> could be notified when your blog changes and then I have to pull down
> the URL for your latest story. I could be notified when your blog changes
> but also receive an abstract of the story, thus helping me decide if I
>[...]

> Well, those are just random thoughts, hopefully someone finds them of use.

Sure!

In fact, I've experimented with both scenarios (a payload-less) event
type scenario (that's what we're doing with Radio right now), and a
publish scenario with Peerkat, where the whole item is published.

I don't think either of these two scenarios are in question in either
case; I think it's more related to what mechanism is looking after any
data that might be polled (in the Radio case, for example, it's a
nation of an RCS (Radio Community Server), and the Radio desktop itself.

Cheers
dj