[standards-jig] Future direction for the protocol

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Wed Apr 17 07:22:44 UTC 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:05:57AM +0530, Ashvil wrote:
> Are these elements deprecated ?

While I've got my (mis)quote hat on, how about "rumours of the demise of
<presence/> and <message/> have been greatly exaggerated"? :-)

Seriously, though, the general pick-up truck <iq/> (info/query) element
is most appropriate to pubsub and indeed many mechanisms in Jabber, that's
why it's being used.

<message/> and <presence/> have (arguably) more defined and specific
purposes, and as Piers already said, <presence/> is used in an optional
part of the pubsub mechanism described in JEP 0024.

dj