[standards-jig] Future direction for the protocol

Dave dave at dave.tj
Thu Apr 18 05:41:49 UTC 2002

In a pure pub/sub architecture, the concept of presence per-se doesn't
exist.  Rather, you receive anything that your client is subscribed to.
If your client is in "away mode" and you don't want it to receive anything
in that mode, your client can simply unsubscribe itself from all (or
only some) channels (or suspend its subscription, essentially requesting
the server to store incoming stuff from that channel offline - I don't
like that ability much, though, since it makes the server more than a
pure XML router ... you can always have your client, when it goes into
"away mode," keep its subscriptions, but avoid alerting you every time
a new message comes in).

 - Dave