[standards-jig] JIDs (JEP-0029)

Craig ckaes at jabber.com
Mon Apr 29 18:08:39 UTC 2002

Bytes instead of characters because it is much easier to check for.
 UTF-8 will allow is 1 byte, 2 byte, 3 byte, 4 byte, and 5 byte
(including header byte) characters.  I don't want everybody to have to
necessarily have to fully validate the encoding just to verify correct #
of characters.  Let the parser take care of validation.

Two solid technical reasons for limiting resource:
1)  In order to perform JID manipulations safely, one cannot use stack
space if there is no limit.  This forces temporary calculations onto the
heap which is just stupid in terms of cost.
2)  As a fixed length character field, it is more database schema
friendly.  If I can have Hume's _Treatise of Human Nature_ as my
resource, then the only way you can store that w/out truncating it is to
store it as a BLOB or CLOB.  Try searching that efficiently!

--C