[standards-jig] JIDs (JEP-0029)

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 30 17:31:05 UTC 2002

--- Dave <dave at dave.tj> wrote:

> You must agree anyway that telling users to count the bytes required by a
> resource name they choose isn't exactly "nice," forcing them to manually
> encode their chosen resource name to make sure it's not too long ... so
> if somebody can find a simple way to make the standard dictate in terms
> of characters without requiring implementations to utf-unencode resources,
> I'd definitely vote for that.  Sadly, though, we may be out of luck :-(

I'll have to vote against you Dave.  :)  I understand your concern but
think the technical standard should be in bytes.  256 bytes seems
very reasonable.

End users should never know about the standard. Their user agent
should let them know about limits appropriately.  In other words,
the user agent, should know its 256 bytes, and that the current
encoding is X so there are Y bytes per character.  when the user
hits the registration dialog, it should do the math and present the
limit in terms of characters based on the current encoding.

This places the burden of user interface issues where it should be
(the user agent), and is technically clean and efficient for
implementors.

My 2 cents.

-iain