[standards-jig] JIDs (JEP-0029)

Jeremie jeremie at jabber.org
Tue Apr 30 21:28:04 UTC 2002

> (Incidently, at least as of 1.2, and probably currently (haven't looked
> for a while), the lower bound on the number of characters allowed in the
> open source server for a username was 8 since it validates the first 64
> _bytes_ without regard to UTF-8 translation before truncating.)

Although I could swear it was set to 255 at some point, I just checked and
it is still 64.  In the future that will be fixed :)

And yes, I agree that it should be specified in bytes, and the original
reasoning for unlimited resources was two-fold: primarily to emulate the
resource part of an HTTP URI (although in HTTP it's often used to cram
lots of data in it, and we have XML to use, so it's not really as
generically useful in the Jabber context), and secondarily because nobody
knew exactly how resources would end up getting used, and expecting that
at some point (maybe now) applying such a limit would be reasonable.

Jer

PS: a few msgs were accidentially deleted in the process of fixing mailman
just a bit ago, FYI in case you sent one this afternoon and it hasn't
shown up yet :)