[standards-jig] JEP-0016 now includes whitelisting

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Aug 1 23:17:47 UTC 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Peter Millard wrote:

> Think firewall rules, not just a simple blocking system. Do you really think
> it would be realistic to have 200+ items in a single zebra list??? This
> seems totally unreasable to me.

As someone who has 900+ roster items, I'm thinking about how I could use
this. For starters, I feel it would be helpful to block packets based on
existing roster groups. For example, for me it would be handy in certain
circumstances to allow messages only from my 'JabCore' and 'JabDev' groups
rather than to specify lots of JIDs. Perhaps we could do this like so:

<iq type='set' id='some-id'>
  <query xmlns='jabber:iq:privacy'>
    <list name='hiding'>
      <item type='allow' group='JabCore'/>
      <item type='allow' group='JabDev'/>
    </list>
  </query>
</iq>

Seems to me this makes good use of a roster/communication management
mechanism we already have in Jabber.

Thoughts?

/stpeter