[standards-jig] Display options in roster was Hidding groups in Jabber clients

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Fri Aug 2 17:42:42 UTC 2002

On 8/1/02 2:38 PM, "Jean-Louis Seguineau /EXC/TEC"
<jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com> wrote:

> So it boils down to two simple questions:
>
> 1/ would the community benefit from having a way to specify display option
> for the roster components (items and groups)

I certainly don't see any harm in defining a standard.  For those that can
use it, it will obviously be beneficial.

I'd imagine many clients will want to keep certain aspects of roster
handling proprietary specifically because it locks you into a particular
client implementation.  I don't know if the competitive aspects are
important now but I suspect as server operators begin to generate income
from client-based revenue streams (adware, profiling, etc) client side
standards will probably be dropped in favor of proprietary behavior.

This still doesn't preclude the existence and usefulness of a standard.  As
with all Jabber protocol standards, they would be optional.

> 2/ if found beneficial, would it be better implemented it in the core
> protocole by amending the base jabber:iq:roster or through an extension
> mecanism.

It would probably be better in the core protocol but making that happen may
be more difficult than defining an extension.  I'd think that you'd have to
submit a jep for the entire roster standard (with this added optional
behavior) if you modify the core.

-iain