[standards-jig] jabber:iq:stats

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Fri Aug 2 17:48:19 UTC 2002

On 8/1/02 8:17 PM, "David Waite" <mass at akuma.org> wrote:

> Actually, the reasoning for me mentioning it is twofold:
> 1. SNMP defines its own extension mechanism (MIB items), which we might
> want to use. There are also large directories of known MIBs, which may
> help decide what people want expose.
> 2. SNMP is somewhat limited in both communication mechanisms and data
> types. Thinking of mapping to SNMP later rather than sooner may mean
> that lots of features and statistics will not be capable of being
> exposed through SNMP at all.

I'll chime in with a vote for SNMP being done sooner rather than later.  I'd
prefer casting the SNMP interface as first priority and built-in rather than
a transport.  If you're running an enterprise management suite, you'll be
using SNMP or JMX (which will probably be exposed via SNMP).  It is not
practical to assume that they'll be switching over to Jabber for management
anytime soon (corporations move _very_ slowly to new core technologies...).

-iain